Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Blog Challenge Recap

So, I made it. Or well, I thought I did. My 30-day blog challenge was supposed to go through December 19th, but for some reason I thought it ended on December 17th, until about 30 seconds ago when I double checked my dates. Whoops.

In the end, I wrote 18 posts, not including this one, during the month that I was writing on my blog on a daily basis. During that time period - from November 19th through December 17th - I only missed one weekday posting, and the only reason for that was because I was out of town and away from my computer that day.

After having the experience of writing so frequently, I now know what it feels like to be a journalist having to meet a regular writing deadline, sans editor, of course. On the upside, I learned that I was generally able to think of something to write about and, most of the time, was able to put a posting together that was moderately interesting, if not downright entertaining. (Yes, I'm patting myself on the back right now). I also started to learn how to write quality "short posts" instead of consistently long ones. On the downside, I sometimes felt like I was just writing something to see words on the page even when the a topic didn't merit a posting. Also, because 90% of my current job responsibilities involve me writing, there were times this past month when I felt like all I do in life is write and nothing else.

To my surprise, writing every day didn't lead to a significant increase in traffic to my site. Nevertheless, I received a bunch of comments about my postings, and my parents get the prize for sending me an email almost every day telling me straight up what they thought of my writing. As far as I'm concerned, the more comments and the more traffic I get, the better, so those are both things I'll keep working towards.

In sum, I would say that the blog challenge was a success for me. Now it's back to a more regular (i.e., less frequent) writing schedule!

2 Comments:

At 12/23/2008 10:31 PM, Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Hopefully not TOO much less, it's been nice hearing from you (albeit generally) more regularly!

 
At 12/24/2008 11:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I for one will miss the daily blog. Now that you're in the habit, maybe you can extend the challenge to yourself for a while longer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home