Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reading of the Names

The last few weeks I've suffered from that all-too-common affliction known as writer's block. After being swamped at work upon my return from Cairo, it kind of popped up on me unawares, and before I knew it I couldn't think of anything to write about. With spring in the air however, I'm looking forward to getting my groove back.

This post is a repeat from previous years, but an important one for me nonetheless. Today marks Yom Hashoah - the day of commemoration for those people killed in the Holocaust.

For the first time in a few years, I was unable to attend a reading of names this year of some of the six million Jews who perished in the Holocaust, though they are particularly in my thoughts today. My brother was able to attend one fortunately and read the names of the following family members. I hope that they'll be remembered so that this horrific event will never be repeated.

On my maternal grandmother's side:
-Artur Fischl, my namesake and my grandmother's father
-Tilly Fischl, my sister's namesake and my grandmother's sister
-Maria Fischl, my grandmother's mother
My grandmother's uncles: Otto, Paul and Hugo
Hugo's children: Hans, Otto and Hugo's daughter (name unknown)

On my maternal grandfather's side:
-Telsha and Volushu Baum, my grandfather's cousins
-Joseph Gerstmann, my grandfather's grandfather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home