Thursday, May 01, 2008

Reading of the Names

I have a lot to write about, but unfortunately no time to write since I'm in the midst of finals and have a paper due tomorrow. I did however want to write this brief post, which is a repeat of a post I wrote last year.

Tonight (Wednesday night) begins Yom Hashoah - the day of commemoration for those people killed in the Holocaust.

At the 24-hour reading of names of some of the six million Jews who perished, and which I attended earlier tonight, I read the names of the following family members, hoping that they will be remembered so that this horrific event will never be repeated.

On my maternal grandmother's side:
-Artur Fischl, my namesake and my grandmother's father
-Tilly Fischl, my sister's namesake and my grandmother's sister
-Maria Fischl, my grandmother's mother
My grandmother's uncles: Otto, Paul and Hugo
Hugo's children: Hans, Otto and Hugo's daughter (name unknown)

On my maternal grandfather's side:
-Telsha and Volushu Baum, my grandfather's cousins
-Joseph Gerstmann, my grandfather's grandfather

1 Comments:

At 5/02/2008 1:03 AM, Blogger Ariel Glasner said...

To clarify: Maria Fischl, my grandmother's mother, died of natural causes and not directly at the hands of the Nazis. My grandmother says however that her mother died of a broken heart after she sent her daughter - my grandmother - to Palestine on a youth aliyah boat, which was reserved only for children. (My grandmother's sister, Tilly was young enough to go on the boat but old enough to make the decision for herself, and she decided not to go. )For this reason, my grandmother includes her mother in the names of her family who perished in the Holocaust.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home