Monday, April 16, 2007

Reading of Names

Tonight (Sunday night) begins Yom Hashoah - the day of commemoration for those people killed in the Holocaust.

At the 24-hour reading of names of some of the six million Jews who perished, I'll be reading the names of the following family members, hoping that they will be remembered so that this horrific event will never be repeated.

On my maternal grandmother's side:
-Artur Fischl, my namesake and my grandmother's father
-Tilly Fischl, my sister's namesake and my grandmother's sister
-Maria Fischl, my grandmother's mother
My grandmother's uncles: Otto, Paul and Hugo
Hugo's children: Hans, Otto and Hugo's daughter (name unknown)

On my maternal grandfather's side:
-Telsha and Volushu Baum, my grandfather's cousins
-Joseph Gerstmann, my grandfather's grandfather

1 Comments:

At 4/16/2007 3:11 PM, Blogger Ariel Glasner said...

A comment from a friend:

Just wanted to let you know I've been enjoying your blog! But particularly this one touched me because it just hits me what a miracle it is that so many Jews in our generation are even alive. I think about it sometimes - what are the odds that I'm even here, given how close my father's parents were to death before they even met each other? Guess it's good to think about on Yom Hashoah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home