Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Let's Play Telephone

Hope that Verizon eventually gets the iPhone or stick with Sprint and get the HTC Sprint Evo?
This is my current dilemma.

My phone is two years old and getting finnicky, so it's time to get a new one. I have a blackberry now but am planning on switching to the newer smartphone technology and have narrowed down my choices to the iPhone and the Evo.

I'm a long standing and happy Sprint customer, so I figured the only reason I would switch providers would be to get the iPhone. The main positives that I see with the Evo are that it's on the new 4G network, so things like web surfing and email are "wicked fast," and I don't have to change cell phone providers. On the other hand, the Evo is big ( 4.8" x 2.6" x 0.5") and heavy (6 oz.), and especially when it's operating on the 4G network, the battery can drain quickly. Size and battery power are both important features to me.

My other option is to wait for Verizon to offer the iPhone, assuming my phone lasts that long (I won't switch to AT&T for it). The positive features of the iPhone are that it's smaller (4.5 x 2.31 x .37) and lighter (4.8 oz), has better battery power and well, hey, it's an iPhone. The downside of the iPhone is it means switching to another provider (who doesn't offer as good of a plan as Sprint) and waiting for Verizon to actually start selling the iPhone.

The Wall Street Journal announced that Verizon would begin selling the iPhone in "early 2011." New reports today however, indicate that Verizon isn't going to announce the iPhone at the industry-wide CES conference next week. Instead, it's going to announce it's first 4G smartphone - one that's basically a replica of the Evo. It's anybody's guess now when Verizon will announce that it's going to start selling the iPhone.

Here's the Evo (thanks to CNET for the pictures):





And, here's the iPhone:




Which would you recommend?